22 April 2011

Mulling & Musing

  • "Nitty Gritty Forgiveness" (So, the sand analogy is particularly perfect for me... and yep, I'm feeling my toes have been stepped on... but in a very good way. I needed this read right now, this very moment. Make sure you click on over and read the whole article.)
"...But the thing I'm struggling with is forgiving in the nitty-gritty.  Forgiving the stuff where there's really no major thing to forgive.  Like that stinkin' pot-hole in the road that nearly rattled the teeth outta my head last week.  And the brand new jar of stuffed olives gone bad.  And yeah, the sand.

It's not like the kids are out to get me, with the whole sand thing.  I mean, sand happens.  Toddler sits in sandbox, sand gets into capri cuffs, sand goes all over bathroom floor.  I certainly don't blame the maddening grit of sand tracked halfway down the hallway on her.

And yet I get so mad.

Who am I mad at? 

Who do I need to forgive?

Maybe when Jesus was talking about forgiving seventy times seven, and turning the other cheek, and walking the extra mile...maybe He was talking also about endurance.  About enduring the temptation to grumble and frown and slam the door open and bang the little pink sneakers extra hard on the deck to get all that sand out.  (not that I'd ever do that.  I mean, what kinda mom do you think I am?)

Maybe little irritations like sand are actually some of those trials I'm supposed to consider a gift.  Maybe sand is the opportunity for me to learn patience, and let patience have it perfecting (ouch) work."


  • "Meeting Henry" (As my friend said, who sent this to me ~ "a good tear jerker," and one that begs me to ask myself each day - "Have I ministered to a 'Henry?' ")
"He sat across the aisle from me, talking to himself. I had boarded a plane very early one morning in TX, after a weekend women’s conference where I was serving with Lysa. I casually glanced over at him and thought, 'Oh boy, this will be interesting.' And I closed my eyes to settle in.
After several minutes, he realized he was in the wrong seat. He jumped up, grabbed his belongings and crossed the aisle to join me. And once again, I thought, 'Oh boy, here we go.'

I was a bit nervous to be honest. We exchanged pleasantries and I closed my eyes again, waiting for the plane to take off. He continued to mumble to himself as he looked out his window.

Several more minutes passed. I tried to fall asleep. And then finally, deep in my heart I felt compelled to talk to my seat mate, even though there was still a part of me that begged for my eyes to remain closed; shut off in my comfort zone.

'Tell me about yourself,' I reluctantly smiled..."

"When we give thanks, we gain joy. All of us. These daily lessons looking for grace is the way we see God even here.

Because what will the math really matter if they are bitter? If the house is immaculate — but my attitude a mess? If they can count — but they don’t know how to count all things as joy? If we get the lists done, but have lost happiness in Him? How can any grammar skill outweigh the fact they don’t know the language of grace and thanks? What good will it be if they can recite all the major British battles — but they don’t know to see beauty? What am I teaching our children if I’m not living simply, quietly this:'“Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things' (Phil. 4:8). Focusing on what is beautiful, good, true –isn’t this the truest education?"

"What a simple command: 'have this mind.' But nothing is harder for fallen human beings like you and me than to make ourselves nothing.

We are like Jesus’ disciples who, just hours before deserting him at Gethsemane, engaged in a debate over which of them was the greatest. We think more highly of ourselves than we ought to think. We covet and cannot obtain, so we fight and quarrel. We grasp at greatness because we covet the glory of being great in the eyes of others."


"...results suggest that physical and mental health problems linked to video games depend on a student’s psychological investment in those games. Those who were more deeply invested in the games, deemed 'problematic' gamers, were more at risk than 'recreational' gamers."

  • "How to Criticize Your Pastor (and Honor God)" (Good ideas for any time you think God is asking you to confront or criticize someone... especially in light of my meditations about criticism being the work of the Accuser - and not forgetting that there is a place for Biblical confrontation.)
"Perhaps the most important step is this one: examining our hearts prior to any conversation in which we bring corrective comments to someone. And here’s why: motive makes all the difference. It is wise for me to examine my heart for any self-righteousness and to ask: Is my desire to share this critical observation with my pastor motivated by a desire to serve him? We must not assume our motive is humble and redemptive. Our purpose must be to serve..., not to scold..".

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Funny thing happened at our Evening English Service a few weeks ago. A fellow misso from a sister organization stopped me, told me she "stalked" our blog and had a question about the picture I've been using along with these "Mulling & Musing" posts... because she recognized the shepherd in the picture. My policy with photos is I generally use mine or ones people have given me permission to use (I do try to remember to give credit for those). Occasionally, I'll use one I find on line and link back to the original site or give credit. And sometimes, I can't get to the original - some things will be blocked, electric or internet will die... or I get totally sidetracked with parental stuff and then forget... OOPS! This was one of those photos where I did not find the original post (after searching for images of Nigerien shepherds). I do know, now... so... Original photo taken by A. C. (whose family, by the way, has been graciously allowing us to sublet their home this year while they are on home assignment!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop in for a chat! I love to hear what you have to say ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails