05 October 2010

~ Something from Psalms ~

I've been spending a lot of time reading in Psalms and Proverbs lately - needing both the encouragement and the wisdom God offers through His Words in those two books. Last night, as I was reading through Psalms 4, our oldest came and shared the following brief testimony with me (loosely quoted):
"So, we had this biology test and I thought I knew what I was supposed to study. But when I looked at the test, I realized I'd messed up and totally studied the wrong thing. But then I remembered what the preacher had said in church on Sunday night, about how we shouldn't be like King Asa. So I stopped and prayed and asked God to help me think smartly about this - so that if there was information there so I could figure out the answers from what I did know and had studied... I'd be able to be calm and think it through... and He did it, Mom! When I went back afterwards to check my notes for the answers, I think I got them all right. God helped me to stay calm and when I prayed, He answered me right at the moment I needed it."
Brendan came and shared this experience with me right ater I had read and just begun to meditate on these words:

"Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have relieved me in my distress; Be gracious to me and hear my prayer....know that the Lord has set apart the godly man for Himself; the Lord hears when I call to Him....You have put gladness in my heart, more than when their grain and new wine abound. In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for You alone, O Lord, make me to dwell in safety." (Psalm 4:1, 3, 7-8)
Lately, it has been one of those seasons for me where my prayers seem to be bouncing off the ceiling... at least several times before I think they might finally have ricocheted  through... I think you probably know what I mean. But in that moment, the Lord answered clearly two ongoing prayer requests: 1) that my children apply what they are learning from God's Word, and 2) that He shows Himself faithful and powerfully... to my children. He did that... and in so doing, also answered those same two requests for me, in my life.

He is faithful, He is powerful... and His timing, while it doesn't generally agree with mine, is always perfect!

Thank you God... for being Who You are... and not what I sometimes try to make You into being...

----------------------------------------------------
Photo: Psalms 1467. Hebrew Manuscript of Psalms, Proverbs, Job, Manuscript 409 (Hebrew), fol. 52r. Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop in for a chat! I love to hear what you have to say ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails