...at least for several of our gang,
~ I was pleasantly surprised ~
- 1/2 gallon milk
- 1/2 - 1 cup white sugar, depending on preference
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp butter
- ground cinnamon to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, combine 1/2 gallon milk, sugar and rice. Simmer, covered, 1 hour, stirring frequently. Remove pan from heat and let rest 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, 1/4 cup milk, salt and vanilla. Stir into rice mixture and return pot to low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Pour into a 9x13 inch dish and cover with plastic wrap, folding back the corners to allow the steam to escape.
- When pudding has cooled to room temperature, remove plastic wrap and sprinkle surface of pudding with cinnamon. Cover tightly (with fresh wrap) and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight before serving.
- Warm milk in crockpot (20-30 minutes).
- Add washed and drained rice, only 3/4 c rice. Cook on high for the next 3-4 hours, until pudding is at desired thickness.
- Mix eggs, 1/4 c of milk, vanilla and cinnamon to taste; then add egg mixture to milk, sugar and rice in crockpot. Let this cook for 20-30 more minutes.
- Turn off crock pot. Add butter, stirring until melted.
- Serve warm... we definitely prefer it warm... and for breakfast!