04 January 2013

Five Minute Friday ~ Opportunity


 

It's back!

Joining up with Lisa Jo today for the first FMF of 2013! 

Yay!


Opportunity

by tapping into its own body chemistry for electricity."


You know how sometimes you read or hear a news headline... and it sticks with you?

This was one of those headlines.

In fact, thinking back over 2012, it was one of those most memorable ones - for me.

Crazy, eh? I'm not sure why. I detest cockroaches... they're big, they make this horrible crunching noise when you kill them, they crawl up from the septic and sewage no matter how clean your house and some nights rampage through the kitchen leaving droppings, my oldest boy knows that certain tone of my voice that says I'm asking him to come and remove yet another dead one from somewhere in our house, the really big ones have really long antennas that wave around and hint of their presence long before you actually see the bug, they are gross and... they're just plain ugly. Some bugs and insects - the preying mantis, for example - I can find something cute, or at least something less than repulsively unattractive, about them. 

Not so with a cockroach. 


And then I read articles like this...

I remember my fascination with the potential and the possibilities of the Bionic Man - that old tv series I remember watching, and loving, as a little girl with my parents (though personally, I liked the Bionic Woman better)...

And I think of one of my most favorite ever quotes, composed by Ranier Maria Rilke in a letter he sent to a younger writer he was mentoring ~
 "How shall we be able to forget those ancient myths that are at the beginning of all peoples,
myths about dragons that at the last moment turn into princesses?
Perhaps all the dragons of lives are princesses
only waiting to see us,
once, beautiful and brave..."


And I remember how only God takes and turns ugly-terrible-scary-painful-incomprehensible-unjust... even though I may not ever see it with my own temporal eyes... into so much more, so much better

When I lean gently back into His hands, His arms everything - ALL, NO. MATTER. WHAT. - is opportunity.

That's what I want to remember as I think back on 2012 and step forward into 2013.


Thankfully, I found this one OUTSIDE the house after the cats had been playing with it.
It would have easily taken up the palm of my hand. 
STOP!

Wanna give it a try? Here are the rules ~ 
"Set your timer, clear your head, for five minutes of free writing without worrying about getting it right.
1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.2. Link back here and invite others to join in.3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.
Oh and Ahem, if you would take pity and turn off comment verification, it would make leaving some love on your post that much easier for folks!"
Hope you jump in and join us today!


10 comments:

  1. Eww! I hate cockroaches too... but I love the lesson you got out of it. A great thought to start the year. God bless you, Richelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =D

      thanks... i took these photos of the cockroach (they actually call these toe-biters b/c they swim and are known to nibble on toes dangling in the water..., but basically the same sort of critter), and have been waiting for an opportunity to use them!

      =D

      Delete
  2. Ummmm, yeah. I hate cockroaches too - and here in SC we have Palmetto bugs - big ol' cockroaches THAT CAN FLY. Ugh.

    I love your thought: When I lean gently back into His hands, His arms everything - ALL, NO. MATTER. WHAT. - is opportunity.

    That's good.

    Happy New YEar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've been around those palmetto bugs... and they used to dive-bomb my hair.

      i don't like them any better than the roaches we have here.

      glad these musings were encouraging/challenging today. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Richelle, thanks for stopping by my blog, and for your encouraging words! I think the photo you posted is one I could have lived my whole life without seeing (ha)! I have yet to see cockroaches in Alaska...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i used to think the same exact thing. but i'd rather see a photo than stumble out to get a drink of water and find him staring at me from the top of the water cooler... :-)

      thanks for returning the visit!! i hope to visit alaska... someday!

      Delete
  4. Umm...yep, I don't like them either but loved your inspirational post. Thanks for stopping by and blessings on your day!

    ~The Mrs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! :-)

      glad you popped by - have a great weekend.

      Delete
  5. I should be able to think of something beneficial here, Richelle, but all I can think is, "eeeewww!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!

      Rebekah wanted to be sure that you knew that my fearless daughter (her) fears cockroaches. ;-)

      Delete

Stop in for a chat! I love to hear what you have to say ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails