17 May 2013

Five Minute Friday ~ Song

 

There have been melodies and harmonies galore floating around our house lately. Big sisters are part of a musical and the performance is tonight! Of course they sing and practice their music while at home - sometimes so much so I stick my own earphones in and hide out for awhile. Of course littlest girl learns it as well, so that means Sheherezade musical snippets continue, even when the rest of them are off at school. She only gets a few key strophs, though - repeating them time after time... after time after time..., 'oft inserting bits from other songs and musicals and even hymns she's seen and heard.

This week has contained real run thrus - at the venue. Daddy helps with making the kiddos able to hear their soundtrack, actors' voices hearable and everything hopefully sounding good, so we've had every night late nights followed by much moaning - groaning - complaining - containing snappy words in the mornings (and not just on the part of the munchkin squad). Our family times included scattered and snatched dinners of whatever happened to be still edible in the fridge. This morning, I'm scouring the house and looking for bobby pins while wondering if I might have already sent them on ahead in luggage. And no one will forget the dramatic tears over costumes and hair styles right before dress rehearsal. Routines are all a-skelter, nothing is going like I'd planned for it to go...

In the midst of all... THIS... we've had another full-blown chicken pox exposure. What can I say? We're supposed to get on a plane and travel (in three and one-half weeks!) and only 25% of my tribe has actually had the chicken pox. I'm not too optimistic about the probability of vaccine protection... and some don't even had that... which is a whole different story for another day. I'm resolutely pushing that sort of stuff of bad dreams - dollars lost, dreams of family vacation poofed away with a que sera, sera mindset - or, well, I'm trying to, at least...

I'm thankful that tonight is the big night. I'm tempted to rejoice that it will be one more thing off the checklist... 

And then way over-tired littlest girl, tucked sweetly into the corner of the waterbed, still where she rolled when I extricated myself from her snuggles to chase the big ones out of bed for school today starts to giggle, hum... and then softly sing... "Listen all of you brothers. Listen all of you sons..."

She's still smiling and singing a sweet dreams song. She snuggles deeper into the pillow and as her notes flit on out through the open window...

Maybe I should take my cue from her...



*********************************************

"Got five minutes? Let’s write. Let’s write in shades of real and brave and unscripted.
Let’s just write and not worry if it’s just right or not.

Because:

'Writing is an act of faith, not a trick of grammar.' ~E. B. White


1. Write for 5 minutes flat for pure unedited love of the written word.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. Be generous and leave an encouraging comment for the person who linked up before you. That’s the best part about this community.

And if you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your five minutes of writing as a comment. And we’ll love on you there."

Hope to see you around!

12 comments:

  1. I hope the show went well, however, I doubt that littlest girl will stop singing her snippets, even long after the show has had its run. Keep singing! It's the most perfect way to express joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. since they're still singing snippets from musicals they watched once years ago... not expecting her to. :-)

      better go find the rest of those bobby pins!

      Delete
  2. Love this! My 2 year old also sings a lot, loudly, his favorite lyrics are about diamonds in the sky ... and he weaves in and out of "twinkle twinkle little star" and makes up his own tune. It's very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not this one... but the one right before her... is also a singer. at 9 mos, she'd sing herself to sleep, humming the tune to amazing grace with perfect pitch. she is 6 now and i still love to listen to her sing. :-)

      Delete
  3. As you mentioned on my post - you have your own song of life in stereo. The song of family time will return, it's just been paused for a bit. Hope the show went well and you can soon find your 'normal' again. (visiting from 5MinFriday)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. family time... it is a fluid thing when you've got 8 moving in several different directions. wouldn't have it any other way, though!

      Delete
  4. Yep ... when it comes to living with joy, let's take our cues from the kids!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sure seems like they are a lot less demanding with their expectations!

      Delete
  5. How fun! Can I admit something? I can't wait until my girl is old enough for musicals and shows. She's such a little performer, even at two...and I can't wait to watch her someday! I hope the show went well for everyone. Blessings and happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you'll have fun seeing if that side of her personality changes at all. it IS fun to see my kids up on stage - and fun to see what parts/aspects of this particular musical appealed to them.

      Delete
  6. Your little one is adorable! I can only imagine the hustle and bustle of opening night...praying all goes well, Richelle :) Praying also no one gets the chicken pox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dolly. I really appreciate that ~

      Delete

Stop in for a chat! I love to hear what you have to say ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails