10 April 2010

A totally new type of book for me...

When Brendan was little younger, I used to "pre-read" every book he wanted to read, even authors with whom I was familiar. Somewhere around 6th or 7th grade, I realized that he was way too voracious of a reader for me to continue that, and so we started letting him make some of his own decisions. Granted, we felt pretty safe, as he didn't have access to too much material of which we wouldn't approve, living in Niger and raiding the missionary libraries... as long as books were from a known author or if he brought the book to us and let us look it over first, he was pretty much free to read what he wanted.

About a year and a half later, we moved to another "stage." He only brought us books he was unsure about and asked us to pre-read or skim if he was worried that there was something in the book that would be "inappropriate." One of the guidelines that I've always given him is that the materials with which he chose to interact should fit the qualifications of Philippians 4.8 - "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." We've had some interesting discussions, my boy-turning-into-young-man and I... We don't always agree as to how well a particular book meets these criteria, but I always walk away from our discussions appreciating and respecting his thoughtful reasoning and insights.

So now, we've reached the stage where it is only occasionally that I pre-read a book for him (when he insists) and instead he's reading and recommending books that he think I'd like!

Hood, by Stephen Lawhead, is one of those books; I just finished it ~ today ~ on our most recent road trip (seems like the front passenger seat of the car is my best opportunity to read... otherwise laundry, housework and other various and sundry "mama" chores are always calling my name).

I thoroughly enjoyed the book and am already looking forward to starting the second one of the trilogy. I loved the historical fiction aspect, the fun, fascinating and detailed twists on an old, familiar story that had never much intrigued me before. But my favorite part was watching the growth of the young hero as he steps into a place of leadership, a thought that he abhorred and fought at the beginning of the book... I think that is part of the reason I'm so interested in continuing the story - I want to see who this young and surprising hero becomes...

...just as I'm fascinated and engrossed by the "becoming" of our very own young man.

And so now, I can't wait to talk through this book with my boy! If you like historical fiction, the history of the English isles in particular and exciting adventure in a mysterious time and setting, go ahead and give this book a try!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation, Richelle. We are always on the look-out for good books for the kids(and for us)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope y'all like... will add that violence level, to me, seemed about similar to lord of the rings, or ted dekker books, so there most definitely is some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's okay, Richelle. we like violence!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brad has a lot of Lawhead books and really likes them too. I'll keep that in mind for a few more years when my own reader wants more... =)

    ReplyDelete

Stop in for a chat! I love to hear what you have to say ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails