16 April 2010

"Do the Next Thing" - devotional by Elisabeth Elliot

In light of my post yesterday... my present struggle in this hopefully, relatively, short season... this devotional on Back to the Bible seemed so apropos........ Enjoy the excerpts below and then head on over to BOTB to read the full text. You'll be challenged.

"Doe the Next Thynge"
~ Saxon poem ~

Do it immediately,
do it with prayer,
do it reliantly,
casting all care.

Do it with reverence,
tracing His hand
who placed it before thee
with earnest command.

Stayed on omnipotence,
safe 'neath His wing,
leave all resultings,
do the next thing.

"...'There is no way I can do this.' I wanted to sink into despair and helplessness. Then I remembered that old Saxon legend, "Do the next thing."

I remembered a verse that God had given to me before I went to Ecuador in Isaiah 50:7: 'The Lord God will help me; therefore, shall I not be confounded. Therefore, have I set my face like a flint and I know that I shall not be ashamed.'

What is the next thing for you to do? Small duties, perhaps? Jobs that nobody will notice as long as you do them? A dirty job that you would get out of if you could have your own preferences? Are you asked to take some great responsibility, which you really don't feel qualified to do? You don't have to do the whole thing right this minute, do you? I can tell you one thing that you do have to do right this minute. It's the one thing that is required of all of us every minute of every day. Trust in the living God.

Now what is the next thing?..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop in for a chat! I love to hear what you have to say ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails