03 May 2007

Things I've Learned from Silver, my Whitefaced Scops Owl

-written by Brendan & Richelle
  • Reading Silver's body language is not too difficult & raw lizard meat is a delicacy. (A corollary is never forget to feed him - he gets GRUMPY!).

  • Car rides are the most miserable rides in the world, with a grumpy owl.

  • Owls can jump really high compared to their height - like from my floor to the table.
  • Barn owls and little owls DO NOT get along. Silver doesn't even like the feathers of my friend's barn owl.

Taking care of Silver had been lots of fun and lots of work. I shoot lizards (and hopefully pigeons

one of these days when I get stronger with my slingshot)

every day to feed him. He eats from my hands and likes to ride around on my head or my shoulder.

Mama insists that I clean the dead lizard parts from my bedroom, his cage and the porch. But she does let me freeze dead lizards to keep for later. I go on-line to "The Falcon Forum" sometimes with friends of mine to learn more about birds of prey. His talons hurt worse on my fingers than if he's standing on my arm. He likes to play with (actually, attack) my hair. He's got the nicest bright orange eyes with purple eyelids. He's not afraid of our cats or our dog.

Having Silver teaches me to be responsible. I'm like his mom and his dad.(I think Dad and Mom still think I have a lot to learn.)

TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT MY UNUSUAL PET, CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING WEB SITES. THERE ARE SOME REALLY GREAT PICTURES, TOO!

http://www.oiseaux.net/oiseaux/strigiformes/northern.white-faced.owl.html

http://www.greglasley.net/wfacowl.html

http://www.webzell.co.uk/lrpsowl.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop in for a chat! I love to hear what you have to say ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails