13 October 2014

walK with THE Wise ~ Work ~


A sluggard’s appetite is never filled,
but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied....
A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children,
but a sinner’s wealth is stored up for the righteous.
An unplowed field produces food for the poor,
but injustice sweeps it away.
(from Proverbs 13)

Betcha never knew that if you searched images with the key word lazy, a very large number of the photos that pop up are ones of cats.

Go figure.

For some reason, cats laying around connects to the idea of lazy.


Maybe because, at least in my mind, laying around when there is work that need to be done - whether I"m the guilty party or whether someone else is - constitutes laziness.

The definition of a sluggard is a habitually lazy person. In the Hebrew, the word translated sluggard includes not just this idea of habitually lazy, but also someone who indolently has no intention of changing. I need to be reminded of that, particularly within the four walls of my own house. In a very practical sense, when I'm tempted to consider others in my home "sluggards" - even when I have no intention of naming them as such, but by my actions and other words indicate that is my belief, I sin.

Beyond the walls of my house? Well, the first phrase quoted above could also be rendered: "The sluggard desires but has nothing." What if my heart  broke with sorrow for those who want so much, but have no hope and therefore have given up... instead of criticism and condemnation for one I deem a sluggard?

And what about within the walls of my own heart? St Chrysostom wrote: "Many ...men give up the [work] of faith, and do not endure the deferring of their hope. They seek things present, and form from these their judgment of the future." There are certainly seasons when I'm guilty of the sin of the sluggard when it comes to godliness, thankfulness and trusting in God and His sovereignty.

Yes, grace and the Gospel are God's amazing gift... yet I can't accept them with the attitude of the sluggard if I want them to change my life.




photo credit: World-Images via photopin cc


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop in for a chat! I love to hear what you have to say ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails