04 November 2011

5 Minute Friday ~ Remember


I'm one of those person who makes lists of all that needs to be done, but once I've written down, never return to the list. The act of writing usually cements even long and complicated grocery lists, honey-do lists, plans and dates for the future... firmly in my mind until I can mentally check them off.
So why is it so different when it comes to remembering faithfulness of family and friends and fellow followers of the One and Only?

When I want to remember, I often forget: infinite grace, boundless mercy, a lifetime of seeing His faithfulness in places unimagined, circumstances unforeseen, or through people who take me by surprise. I forget how He takes things meant for evil and the result of sin... my sin... and works them for His glory, my good and the ultimate good of others.

I forget because
  • I look with my eyes,
  • hear with my ears,
  • taste with my tongue,
  •  touch with my fingers and
  • smell with my nose
only that which is concrete and makes sense.

I only remember if and when
  • I look through His eyes,
  • hear His Spirit's whisperings within,
  • taste with my soul,
  • touch with my mind the eternal future He's preparing, and
  • smell His holy goodness with my soul
as I seek that which eyes have not seen,
ears have not heard nor mind comprehended.

When someone does something kind and I want to let them know that I noticed... and will remember, I take time to compose and write a heartfelt note or letter of appreciation to send their way. I don't often write "thank yous" to God.

Perhaps it is different because I choose not to take the time to write.

Perhaps it is different because I forget to offer heartfelt, more formal "thank yous" to the One Who has given the most... the One Who has given all.

I need to choose to take the time to write, to imprint in my mind and memory, to thank

...and to remember.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------
So... What is 5 Minute Friday all about?

Well, I love to write; I want to continue to grow and be challenged in my writing.
I'm going to give this a try for a while and see if it is a tool to help me towards that end.

(taken directly from Gypsy Mama's blog page:)
[Writing - ] For only five short, bold, beautiful minutes. Unscripted and unedited. We just write without worrying if it’s just right or not.

Won’t you join us?
    1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
    2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
    3. Most importantly: leave a comment for the person who linked up before you – encouraging them in their writing!

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Stopping by from 5MF, and I can so relate to what you've written. But now that you have written, I am guessing you will find things to be thankful very frequently;) Happy list making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! Stopping over from the 5 Minute Friday today!

    ReplyDelete

Stop in for a chat! I love to hear what you have to say ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails