09 May 2011

Multitude Monday - 1000 Gifts

Jonathan was working on his cursive writing several days back...

...even when our kids are on vacation, I usually have them doing some home schooling. He's an easy one, because he begs for me to work with him. He was working on copying a verse... and as I was helping him to sound out the words and read it, the word ALL really jumped off the page (and not just because he'd already traced the letters in neon pink!).

All day long I'll praise and honor You, Oh God, for all that you have done for me.
Psalm 71.8

While meditating and "cud-munching" on that word, "all" for a bit, a few other verses came to mind:

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28

He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things?
Romans 8:32

I wonder what my life might look like... and I pray my life is changing and beginning to look like whatever that might be... as I learn, I choose, I practice... giving thanks and praise:

******************
all day long
*******************
for all He has done
(even the parts I have to work to accept)
*******************
knowing that He causes all things to work together for good
*******************
trusting that He freely gives all things
(and that no good father gives bad gifts...
even when I don't think the gift makes sense or is good,
I choose trust because the Giver is good)
*******************

What He gives is a good gift... for God is good, all the time... even when the giving pains Him, even when it wasn't what I'd hoped for, even when I have to change my label from bad to good gift because I know it has passed through Him first.

this week's gratitude list:
(#'s 1090 - 1115)

practical accountants

husbands who listen and hear what those practical accountants are saying

catching up on much needed rest

cool showers

looking at new horizons, new possibilities

available antibiotics that treat diseases like typhoid
(A total aside, I was researching a bit to learn more about the disease, and discovered that before antibiotics were readily available, fatality rates were generally about 33%. Some even claim it was possibly typhoid that led to the end of the Golden Age of Athens. After antibiotics became standard treatment, fatality rates dropped to 1-2%.)

coming to the end of me, and just having to let things be less than what I'd hoped

saying goodbye, reminding me that that I am only passing through... and we will meet again... and in a much better place

being publically humiliated by another, reminding me why I should never humiliate my children... my students... or any other person... ever

little girl imagining that her IV port was like Buzz Lightyear's laser... which made it almost tolerable

hearing, as she gives a great big bear hug, "Mama, I like I feel so much better now!"

listening to her insist she wear that bandaid... it is her "battle scar!" (Where'd my 2 year old learn that expression?)

hanging out at the pool, teaching swimming and water polo to some really great kids, many of whom I've grown to love

Koolaide - it tastes so nice on hot, humid, dusty days when it seems like all we've done is sweat

sweet "virtual friends" who write encouraging notes

faithful prayers of our family, friends, churches

sunscreen smells - brings so many pleasant memories to mind

finishing my homework - only two assignments left

looking forward to an upcoming Women of Faith video conference

old friends who "like" the same things that touch my heart

actually having a bit of money left in my purse at the end of the week to make that desert I'd forgot I'd need to make...

that a friend volunteers to help Jonathan with his speech and language work when she can

hearing Jonathan pronounce words more accurately in French than he often does in English

longing... wishing... looking for opportunities to connect... because it is evidence of loving...

after having read Eric Carle's The Very Clumsy Click Beetle at least 75 times this past week, I'm overwhelmingly thankful that large Niamey cockroaches do not have the same talent that click beetles have...

watching orange blobs on the weather radar while wondering if they might just lead to a cooling down a bit of things

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop in for a chat! I love to hear what you have to say ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails