18 October 2012

A 31 Day Grand Prix {day 18} ~ that fictional frontier lady who inspires me ~

Don't laugh... or just give me a few seconds to start laughing at myself so then you'll be laughing with me.

It really is true... even though she's not for real... not even sorta based on a real person... there are many things I admire in this fictional lady... I could say the same thing about Laura Ingalls Wilder from Little House on the Prairie, but it has been a lot longer since I have watched those shows.


Those of you who know me in real life probably know to whom I am referring... I'm talking, of course, about Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, the fictional hero of the TV series by the same name. As the heroine, she's smart, usually sophisticated, spunky, stubborn, courageous, persistent, a little bit proud, willing to learn, a respecter of people regardless, full of integrity as well as full of her own ideas of how things should be... and more than willing to work to fit them into her idealistic perspectives. Besides that, she's also beautiful, has a really handsome beau, fun and talented kids and most of the time can laugh at herself and her mistakes.

Over the course of the series, she learns that she can't force others to change... but she can seek to change within herself and often that inspires others to follow suit.  She deliberately chooses to see the best in all people, and does good - even to those who hope and try to hurt her. She embraces life with open arms - the good and the bad, the delightful and the hard, the beautiful and the ugly... But, what appeals most to me about her character is the gentle and quiet strength she grows into throughout the course of the series. Her family, friends and neighbors will all go to bat for her, despite her foibles because they  respect her, even when they don't agree with what she stands for, as well as appreciate her for the remarkable person she is.

Obviously, she's too good to be true, but I love seeing what all those characteristics just might look like... wrapped up in one person.


 
"I started thinking about how I planned everything. Then I realized something. The most important events in my life were things that I never planned. Things that I had no control over at all." 
~ Dr. Michaela Quinn 


5 comments:

  1. Your post made me smile, and congratulations, BTW, on taking the 31 day blogging challenge! Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to provoke a smile! Hope you have a great day, yourself. :-)

      Delete
  2. I have a couple seasons of Little House on DVD. And you know I love to let your girls borrow my movies.... just saying. OR we could just have a big fat movie marathon night.... oh yes. That would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a couple seasons of Little House on DVD. You know I love to let your girls borrow my movies.... OR we could have an awesome movie marathon night..... oh yes! That would be fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Stop in for a chat! I love to hear what you have to say ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails